Rebels with a Cause: Working with Adolescents Using Action Techniques
with Mario Cossa, USA/Bali
Module 2. Adolescents from Developmental Perspective
In this module presenter demonstrates how to develop more effective, and engaging approach than talking, to those who work with youth. He provides clear explanations and instructions for using action techniques from Psychodrama, Sociodrama, and Sociometry for working with this population.
Because of the physical changes that come with adolescents, it is easy to develop expectations for them that are beyond their developmental maturity. This can often lead to frustration for those working with youth who may see resistance and defiance instead of recognizing inadequate warmup. This module explores, in action, the developmental continuum from the onset of puberty through the mid-twenties. It helps ground youth workers in the current adolescent reality, and shows how action techniques can provide effective support to youth in successfully meeting their social, mental, and emotional challenges. There is a step-by-step activity provided for viewers to role-reverse with adolescents at different stages of development and see the world “through their eyes.”
For those who work with youth (11 to 24 years old) online or in-person:
Therapists, Counselors, Educators, Teachers, Coaches, Substance use Counselors and parents. It is especially useful for those who want to review adolescent development challenges and the ways in which the challenges of the current generation are both similar to and different from previous generations.
Explore the importance of bringing a developmental awareness to work with youth, understand the specific needs of today’s youth from the inside out and explore the ways in which the “Prescriptive Roles” from the Therapeutic Spiral Model (TSM) Psychodrama provide a useful map for assessing and working from a developmentally-informed perspective.
• Describe relevant examples of adolescent brain development that should inform work in groups to create safety and explain the importance of having youth group members co-create group norms and agreements;
• Define the TSM Psychodrama Prescriptive Roles of Restoration, Observation, & Containment and recite at least one action activity that supports the development of these 3 types of roles;
• List the age parameters and characteristics that divide adolescent development into various stages;
• Describe similarities and differences between developmental challenges of contemporary adolescents and those of previous generations.
Mario Cossa RDT/MT, TEP, TSM Trainer – founder and Director of Motivational Arts Unlimited, and recipient of the ASGPP Innovator’s Award, 2019. Mario brings decades of experience as a group facilitator and psychodrama director and has worked in the USA, Canada, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Korea, and China.
• Video lectures - 35 min
• Video Demonstration - 113 min
• Handouts - 22 min
• Test- 30 min
• Course Survey - 5min
• Psychodrama with Adolescents. Interview with M.Cossa. 3 Parts.
• Practicum - 80 min
Hours for Certificate
• 4.5 Hours on Action Exploration Education Certificate (applicable for Psychodrama certification)
• 3 Hours on CE (excludes test, survey and practicum time)
Information on Continuing Education Credits
Psychodrama professional certification training hours:
• American Board of Examiners - ABE accepts a maximum of 120 training hours for psychodrama distance learning. This module/course will count as asynchronous distance learning as long as the primary trainer approves it.
• International Boards: You may be able to submit this certificate to your local Psychodrama board. Please contact your respective local board for information.
To obtain Psychodrama training hours:
a) Pass the test with at least 70% correct;
b) Fill in the survey.
Experiential training hours:
• International Society of Experiential Professionals: ISEP accepts experiential training hours administered by a TEP trainer. More information will be provided shortly.
Social workers, Marriage and Family Therapists, and Professional Counselors:
• We are working on getting board's approvals and will update this information shortly.
• You may be able to submit this certificate for credits in other mental health disciplines. Please contact your local board for information.
(100 Days Access)
*Recommended Videos Not Included in Total Hours for Certificate
Rebels with a Cause: Working with Adolescents Using Action Techniques.
Students can buy one separate module or the whole course of 7 modules with a bundle discount.
May we send you a biweekly newsletter?
When subscribed you will ONLY receive info on:
V Invitations for free limited-space courses
V Free video releases
V Newly released courses and discounts
V Invitations to our events
You will NOT receive: